Dr. Sundaram Challa
Qualification: MD (Pathology)
Specialties: Pathology, Neuropathology
Experience: 25+ Years
Fellowships / Memberships / Work Experience:
• Former Dean, Senior Professor and Head of Pathology, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS), Hyderabad. Established State of Art Neuropathology services in the combined state of Andhra Pradesh. Contributions in Neuro-infections, particularly fungal infections in immune competent individuals lead to editing books, publication of chapters in text- books and research articles in national and international journals. Establishment of Neuromuscular laboratory and collaborations with several central institutes enabled genetic studies in muscular dystrophies and mitochondrial myopathies. Application of various special techniques in inflammatory myopathies enabled to refine the diagnosis and ensure appropriate patient care. Actively engaged in Neuro-oncology diagnostic services applying immunohistochemistry and molecular techniques with research contributions in Proteomics and signal transduction pathways in gliomas; presently involved in a project on NGS in CNS tumors to have a WHO compliant classification.
• Edited 4 books, contributed 20 chapters to text books and monographs and published nearly 300 research articles in national and international peer reviewed journals. The publications included several aspects of Pathology including autopsy and received Best Paper recognition several times. Serving as Editorial member and Reviewer for many national and international journals in Pathology, Neuropathology, Cytology, Tropical Medicine, Infections and others. Received Best Reviewer and Golden Reviewer Award for the services. Resource person for several CMEs, conferences and Webinars.
• Recipient of several awards and honors including Aikat Memorial oration (IAPM), Manjulika Mohant oration (IAPM-HQ), SN De Memorial oration, IAPM-WB), AP-IAPM oration, APNS oration, Dr M R Parthasarathy and Dr. A.V. Ramprasad Silver Plaque Oration (JNMC), Life-time Achievement Award (Path fest), Dr. CRRM Reddy Endowment oration (APAMS), SRMC Endowment Oration, Dr C Sitadevi Endowment Oration (Care foundation), Dr Shankar Banerjea Award, Dr D Sundara Sivarao Centenary oration (IAPM-AP), Basavatarakam Oration (HAP), Dr PV Jagannadha rao Oration (AMC) and several others.
• Held many academic administrative positions in NIMS as Associate Dean-Academic, Member Secretary of Institutional Ethics Committee, Academic council, Member Governing council, Executive Board, Chairperson-Library Committee and several others. Served as Member-Postgraduate committee, Medical Council of India, Member for assessment of infrastructure facilities for MCI, DNB, NAAC and others. Member of Selection committee for recruitment and promotion of faculty in AIIMS, New-Delhi, PGIMER, Chandigarh, SGPGI, Lucknow, NIMHANS-Bengaluru and others. Examiner for PhD scholars, MD/DNB Pathology of various Institutes and Universities. Visiting professor and Guest faculty to many institutions.
• Served as President, IAPM, IAP-ID, AP Neurosciences, AP chapter-IAPM and Executive member for several allied societies. Presently, President, Neuropathology Society of India (NPSI); initiated Travelling School of Neuropathology under the aegis of NPSI and conducted several CMEs across Telangana and Andhra Pradesh to promote awareness of Neuropathology. Organized and participated in several national and international conferences.
• Passionately involved in Teaching and a Recognized Teacher and Guide for several post graduate students in Pathology, Neurology, Neurosurgery and Ph.D Scholars. Recipient of Best Teacher award.
• Presently Senior Consultant and Advisor, DNB Pathology program at BIACH&RI. Instrumental in starting PDCC-Oncopathology under the aegis of Indian College of Pathologists. Serving as Member Scientific Review Board, BIACH&RI.
Ten recent publications
1. Challa S, Jakati S, Narla S, Uppin MS, Kannan MA, Jagarlapudi MM. Sporadic Inclusion Body Myositis: A Clinicopathological Study. Neurol India 2021;69:638-41
2. Sivakoti S, Uppin SG, Uppin MS, Tara RP, Prayaga AK, Challa S. Tissue microarray based immunohistochemical study of TLE1 in synovial sarcoma and its histologic mimics. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2021 Apr-Jun; 64(2):310-315. doi: 10.4103/IJPM.IJPM_425_20. PMID: 33851625.
3. Murthy SS, Gundimeda SD, Challa S, Manjula V, Fonseca D, Rao VB, Rajappa SJ, N Raju K V, Rao T S. FISH for EWSR1 in Ewing’s sarcoma family of tumors: Experience from a tertiary care cancer center. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2021;64:96-101
4. Murthy JM, Challa S, Parida S, Murthy TV, Basha Paspala SA. Primary Angiitis of Central Nervous System-Tumor-Like Mass Lesions: Report of Six Biopsy Confirmed Cases. Neurol India 2021;69:451-6
5. Naik M, Rao BV, Fonseca D, Murthy SS, Giridhar A, Sharma R, Raju K, Rao TS, Challa S. GATA-3 Expression in all Grades and Different Variants of Primary and Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2021 Apr;12(Suppl 1):72-78. doi: 10.1007/s13193-019-01026-0. Epub 2020 Jan 18. PMID: 33994731; PMCID: PMC8119539.
6. SS Murthy, S Challa, K Raju, SJ Rajappa, D Fonseca, SD Gundimeda, BV Rao, F Ahmed, S Kodandapani, L Nambaru, MC Mundada, R Sharma, KM Mallavarapu, VC Koppula, TS Rao…Ewing Sarcoma With Emphasis on Extra-skeletal Ewing Sarcoma: A Decade’s Experience From a Single Centre in India. Clinical Pathology 2020;13, 2632010X20970210
7. Challa S. Invasive Fungal Infections of the Central Nervous System in Immune-Competent Hosts. Current Fungal Infection Reports. 2020 Jun;14(2):174-85.
8. Pamidimukkala U, Sudhaharan S, Kancharla A, Vemu L, Challa S, Karanam SD, Chavali P, Prakash H, Ghosh AK, Gupta S, Rudramurthy SM. Mucormycosis due to Apophysomyces species complex-25 years’ experience at a tertiary care hospital in southern India. Medical mycology. 2020 Jun 1;58(4):425-33.
9. M Agrawal, MS Uppin, SG Uppin, S Challa, S Agrawal, AK Dharmrakshak. Thymoma diagnosis and categorization in the current scenario: Morphological analysis based on interobserver variability. Annals of Thoracic Medicine 2020; 15 (2), 90
10. Garudadri G, Rao BV, Sundaram C, Fonseca D, Murthy SS, Sharma R, Rao TS. Diagnostic utility of immunohistochemical marker prostein for evaluation of primary and metastatic prostatic carcinomas. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology. 2020 Feb 1;63(5):18.